Shakshuka with Challah


A couple years ago, when I was studying in France with my best friend, Maggie, we became the best cooks. Not because we were studying at Le Cordon Bleu or using the best ingredients (although that did help), but simply because our kitchen was so tiny that we had to learn how to be resourceful. We also wanted to limit our grocery bill during the week so that we could save our pennies for indulgent weekends away eating pannenkoeken in Amsterdam, paella in Barcelona, and gauffres in Brussels. 

After cooking for four months using only a mini fridge, one hot plate, no oven(!!), and an airplane-sized sink, I came back to Canada with tips and tricks to last me a lifetime. One of my favourite stove-top dinners was shakshuka. At the time, I didn't know that it was being served up in mini cast iron pans at almost every trendy brunch spot. To us, eggs in tomato sauce was simply the easiest, cheapest weeknight dinner. 

I recently remembered how good this recipe was and scavenged the web for some yummy challah that I could make (now that I had the luxury of oven access) to go with my dinner. Take a look below if you would like:


Ingredients

1 Tbsp coconut oil (for frying)
1/4 red or yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
14 oz (half a can) crushed tomatoes
2-3 eggs
Crumbled feta or soft goat cheese (optional)
Chives to garnish

Preparation

  1. Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. It doesn't need to be cast iron but I've always made it in one cause gosh it looks so pretty and it has the right height in the sides. 
  2. Sauté the onion, red pepper, and garlic until soft.
  3. Add in the spices (paprika, cumin and salt), mix well and let cook for a minute.
  4. Slowly pour in the tomatoes and let simmer for about 10 minutes to let it thicken.
  5. If you're feeling fancy, you can add in your choice of cheese. I like mine with goat cheese.
  6. Make little wells in the tomato sauce for your eggs and then crack them in.
  7. Turn down the heat to medium-low and put a lid on your skillet. Let the eggs cook until the yolks have just set, about five minutes. Garnish with chives.
  8. Serve with on toast or if you're channelling your Jewish roots you can make your own challah.

Challah Recipe

I have made [this recipe] twice and it's pretty fool proof. I have the BIGGEST fear of making bread because yeast freaks me out. I'm so scared that it will fail, but believe me this recipe is made in a ziploc bag and although it's time consuming it's super straightforward and people are so so so impressed by fresh homemade bread. I brought this challah to a dinner party once and you would have thought I brought a new born baby or the first draft of the Harry Potter. 

**I'm also going to put in a plug for our very first Cookbook Club happening TOMORROW. Get cooking ladies and gents, this is going to be good! More details [here].

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I didn't find the challah recipe. Would you like you send me the recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Template Design by Pish and Posh Designs