Travel Guide: Switzerland


Switzerland is an absolute dream! The lush mountains, the beautiful lakes, the refined food... I would go back in a heartbeat.

Last summer, Sander and I went on the ultimate road trip starting at his parents' house in the Netherlands and through Germany to visit friends, and then making our way to the south of Switzerland. On the way back we drove through Italy for a hot second and then popped out of a mountain pass back into Switzerland to visit my cousins. I can't help but pour over the photos to relive those sunny days driving through the mountains with the windows down.

I thought I would share some of the spots we landed upon because my gosh was it ever stunning.


STAY

Park Hotel Delta Wellbeing Resort • Ascona, Switzerland

Before we left, Sander and I spent days going back and forth about whether we should splurge for this part of our trip and book this ritzy hotel for our stay in Switzerland. Considering the rest of our trip was spent staying with family for free, we went for it and it was the BEST decision.

We definitely felt like we were living in a fairytale while we sipped cappuccinos poolside or a cool glass of white wine in one of the property's many saunas. It was crazy luxurious and so fun to live that life for a few days.

Located just outside of the city centre of Ascona, the hotel was the perfect oasis for lounging around the pool in a lush robe, or adventuring off into the surrounding Ticino area.

EXPLORE
Ticino has the ideal combination of mountains and lakes. It's also just North of Italy so you can imagine the plates of pasta and cones of gelato we devoured. We brought bikes with us to take advantage of the flat lakeside paths and then hiked high into the mountains to admire the vast landscapes of the lakes below.

Cardada - Cimetta Hike • Depart from Locarno, Switzerland
This hike tops my list of all the hikes I've ever done! The views are spectacular because you get to see the lowest point of Switzerland, Lago Maggiore, at the same time as the highest point, Dufour peak in Monte Rosa... mind blown! You can either hike all the way up or take various cable cars and chair lifts to explore the peak of the mountain. One of my favourite parts about Switzerland is how even in the most remote areas, i.e. halfway up a mountain, you run into the cutest cafes. At the top of our hike we enjoyed a drink and took in the view of those crazy enough to para glide down.




Valle Verzasca Swimming • Lavertezzo, Switzerland
There's something so special about swimming in the freshest mountain water on a hot summer day. We explored the area around Ponte dei salti in Lavertezzo which had an amazing swimming hole. After watching all the little swiss boys jump off a huge cliff with no fear, I couldn't resist and joined in jumping into the crystal clear water. We then drove North and chilled in the streaming river for a bit, soaking it all in.


Tibetan Bridge of Curzútt • Depart from Monte Carasso, Switzerland
After spending a day deep in the valley, we decided to venture out once again to the the lush mountains, this time to the Tibetan suspension bridge. We took (a rather old and scary) cable car from Monte Carasso part way up the mountain and then hiked past an 11th century church, wineries, and beautiful old stone houses nestled in the forest to ultimately cross one of the longest suspension bridges in Switzerland. Don't let the smile in the photo below fool you, we were scared out of our minds. I just kept reminding myself that the Swiss are amazing engineers right?



Lago Maggiore (and all the other wonderful lakes) • Locarno & Ascona, Switzerland
We borrowed bikes from Sander's parents, but there are plenty to rent in the area to explore the beautiful paths around the southern Swiss lakes. Just around the corner from more well-known Italian lake Como, Switzerland is home to some fabulous bike paths with plenty of spots to stop and grab gelato along the way. I hopped into my bather many a time for an on route swim, whether just off the side of bike path or in the many lidos (public outdoor swimming areas - pools or beaches).

The photo below is when we stopped for a little walk in Lucerne. Another gorgeous spot for a swim!


Breathtaking Mountainside Villages • Levron, Switzerland
Towards the end of of our trip we were lucky enough to spend time with my family in the Valais area. It was so fun to be staying with them all the way up a mountain with only a sprinkling of houses in their little village. It's easy to discover and explore little gems like this because even though they are remote, you'll always find your way with their great hiking trail signage.



We stopped at a little restaurant for a little stretch and snack on our drive and I snapped this photo!! I can't wait to explore other regions of this magical country.






19 comments:

  1. I am inspired by this blog, you defines very well. Thank you so much!! Keep sharing such important posts
    Cherokee hotel with hot breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic for a blog!A very good and informative article indeed. It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge. cheap hotels with free breakfast orange city iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a amazing blog! One of the best blog I have seen.Amazing keep on posting.
    hotels in iowa
    suite in orange city iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are always worried about to find a best hotel when they travel but this blog is really so helpful.Thank's for sharing this post.
    Motel in Iowa
    hotels near cherokee iowa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone love to travel but find out a best hotel is really difficult.I found this blog so amazing and useful.Thank you for posting this wonderful and useful blog with us.
    hotels in iowa
    hotels iowa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Switzerland is really a beautiful place to visit and explore the place.This will helpful and useful for a traveler.Thank you for sharing this and keep sharing like this.
    motels near cherokee iowa
    hotels near cherokee iowa

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many people went to visit Switzerland.It's an amazing blog with lot's of information.Thank you for sharing and keep sharing.
    sibley inn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post

    I am so happy to visit this blog and I love to read. Please stay upto date with your blogs, we will visit again to check our your new post.

    Online diet trainer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Business for sale in Dubai Business for sale in Dubai, Businessfinder.me is the leading platform to sell your
    Business or Buy new Business, List your business for sale, and start getting real offers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Sob Moei

    ReplyDelete
  11. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity.. RV dealer in Carthage mo

    ReplyDelete
  12. 출장 Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this valuable knowledge.

    I've read a lot of blogs, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Furthermore, I'm grateful for the opportunity to introduce myself through your posts. All you've written has left me speechless. For an instance, I've bookmarked this for future reference because it's still really useful, even after many years. You have defined clearly about hiking in Switzerland, instruction & adventurous moments that we can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. 출장마사지

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks... visto canadense online

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. Hindiston sayyohlik vizasi

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel that is among the ton crucial data for me. What's more, I'm cheerful concentrating on your article. Anyway need to analysis on scarcely any ordinary things, the site taste is extraordinary, the articles is as a general rule great: D. Great cycle, good wishes.
    Custom Matte Black Hair Extension Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  18. A bio link is basically the tiny part of your page that contains an embedded link to another site, enabling curious visitors to learn more about you. It usually shows up at the end of your basic profile information.link in bio

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.. 군산출장안마

    ReplyDelete

Template Design by Pish and Posh Designs